Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Man in Black

Alternate title: Not to be confused with "Men in Black"

Johnny Cash's music is rattling around in my head.

"I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Folsom Prison,
And time keeps draggin' on,
But that train keeps a-rollin',
On down to San Antone."


I don't usually read too much into my random thoughts, especially when songs get stuck in my head. 
Let's face it - music get stuck in my head way too often for me to have really deep thoughts about it. 
This time is different. I think. 
I'm not really sure if it's the "train a comin'" part that I'm concerned about, or the "I'm stuck in Folsom Prison" line that I'm whining about. 


Concern? 

Whine?


Erm, I'm going with Concern. Yeah. Uh huh. Concern tinged with excitement.


Why? 

I leave for Barcelona a mere 2 weeks from Friday. Yes really! 


I'm so excited, I'm ready to start packing my bags. Or at least maybe making a list of what I'm going to pack. Yes, a list is a grand idea. I wonder what I'm going to forget on this trip - Allie's law, I always forget something. 


I hope it isn't deodorant (not that it'd make a difference in Europe, they don't believe in that stuff). Heaven forbid UBS (undies, bras and socks - thank a college roommate for that acronym!). I'm sure I'll have extra UBS, just because I'm a wee bit paranoid about running out of the "U" part of that. 


While I go make my list, take a look at the finished shadow box which was a gift for my Canadian friend, Erin.  











































I love the way it turned out! I sent it to her in honor of her 2nd Wedding Anniversary, and while it isn't exactly cotton, I hope she'll treasure it. 


Back to the list. Passport (check), Euros (check), iPod (check), camera (check), extra memory card (check), power converter/adapter (check) - well you get the idea. It's endless. How the heck am I supposed to fit 10 days worth of crap stuff into 1 large suitcase and 1 rollerboard?? 


I'm not known for being a light packer either. "kitchen sink" is often muttered in reference to my luggage. Heaven forbid I forget any clothing - the anorexics in Europe don't make fat girl clothes. 


Bottom line - I can't forget ANYTHING. Thus, I must have a list. 


"I fell in to a burning ring of fire.
I went down, down, down
and the flames went higher. 
It burns, burns burns, this ring of fire.
Ring of fire."


I'll let you read what you want into that particular song. 


Enjoy your new day!! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about your trip and see the pictures!
    Oh, and I love lists too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trip sounds awesome...I'm jealous! The song...well, let's just say that for us Wisconsinites, the "I ain't seen the sunshine, since, I don't know when..." is that part that concerns me. It snowed again today!! There is something wrong with that picture!

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete