Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eggplant Parmesean - Inaugural Attempt

I decided to try to make eggplant parmesean for the first time last night. I wanted to try something fairly light, and so I hunted up a baked version of the recipe. Here's the basic recipe I used. Eggplant Parmesean

First I gathered my ingredients. I liked this picture with all the color (it's the little things, right?)
Then I found my helpers. This one takes cooking very seriously!
and this one..
(how's that for a weird focus shot??? let's put the background/rug in focus, and blur the pug! oh well...still learning the new camera. please forgive me!)

PS - how do you like my $8 rugs from Kohl's? A steal! And machine washable (requirement in this house)
I digress...

And I got to work - peeled and sliced my eggplant, added a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and then threw them in the oven.
Those of you who are more alert than I am will immediately notice my preparation steps didn't coincide with the recipe. Yes, the recipe calls for the breading (egg dip + breadcrumbs) to happen BEFORE the slices go in the oven. I missed that one... and breaded them AFTER they were slightly roasted.

Note: bread before. Not after. This is important!
Note #2: I seasoned my breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I felt obligated.

Carrying on...I put some spagetti sauce in the bottom of my pan, and then layered in the eggplant.
Doesn't the color of the sauce just pop??
I nestled all of the eggplant in the pan, covered it with sauce, and then added some parmesean cheese.
And then...the finale. Cheese. Glorious cheese.

So much for "light"
I mean really.
You cannot make a "parmesean" anything with out cheese. So there.
I prefer montery jack.
No, I can't explain it.
Somethings just "are".

So there.

Into the oven, baked for about 30 minutes...
and out came this beauty
Don't you just LOVE when the cheese bubbles up and browns just a bit?

mmm mmm mmm!
The verdict? edible, totally. even with my misstep on the breading. I enjoyed it. It was still fairly light (even with all that ooey gooey cheese).

Yes, it's true. I made, and consumed, a vegetarian meal.
And didn't die.
how about that??

It's a new day!
~Allie

PS - don't forget to visit Sunday's post and share your favorite recipe to be entered in the giveaway.

1 comment:

  1. Helloooooooo, yummy! That cheese now has my stomach growling. That's always my favorite part of any dish!

    ReplyDelete